2017 Clackamas Community College Writer Laureate Internship
Announcing the 2017 Student Writer Laureate Internship!
Every year, the English Department at Clackamas Community College recognizes one enthusiastic, dedicated student as the CCC Writer Laureate. The Writer Laureate is a formal internship opportunity for a currently enrolled student at CCC to help promote creative writing on campus as well as in the larger literary community.
The Writer Laureate will be chosen fall term 2016, and will be in office winter and spring terms 2017, and possibly fall term 2017, if funding is available.
The Writer Laureate’s commitments include:
- assisting with the coordination and execution of, and attending events sponsored by, the English Department, such as literary readings, fundraisers, and the department’s annual spring writing conference (Compose)
- assisting with and being an attending member of the CCC Writers Club
- assisting English instructors and the English Department with promotion of English and Creative Writing courses, publications, events, and opportunities, in person, on paper, and electronically
- promoting and sharing information about the A.S. in English degree
- presenting their own creative work to the college community
Overall, the Writer Laureate will be a representative of not only the English Department and CCC, but of the literary arts—the creative power of words and the positive impact they have.
The English Department reserves the right to remove the Writer Laureate from the position if they fail to perform the above-mentioned duties.
The Writer Laureate will receive:
- up to an 8 credit per term tuition waiver for winter and spring terms 2017
- access to creative office space
- references from English faculty
- professional writing, public relations, and writing conference experience
- recognition for their creative writing practice
The position is open to all current CCC students who are intent on majoring in English. They are not required to have declared a major at the time they apply.
Interested students must:
- be in good academic standing, with a GPA of at least 3.0
- be responsible and enthusiastic
- be willing to retain the position for both winter and spring terms 2017, and possibly fall term 2017.
To apply, interested students must submit:
- full name, phone number, email address, and student ID number
- one letter of recommendation from any CCC instructor they have taken a course from
- a one-page, single-spaced letter describing their interest in creative writing and literature, how they envision carrying out the internship, and their own creative ideas they wish to pursue as Writer Laureate
- 10-15 pages of creative writing—poetry, fiction, or creative nonfiction (or any combination thereof)
Please email complete applications to Ryan Davis (email@example.com) no later than Sunday, November 27, 2016. Include all application materials in one document as a Microsoft Word or PDF attachment, and include the words “Writer Laureate Application” in the subject line of the email.